Last updated on 02-03-2022
Error Status 0xc000012f is a common issue after updating to Windows 8. This error code also occurs in Windows 10. Moreover, the error is characterized by multiple windows that are related to system32\uxtheme.dll. For instance: officeclicktorun.exe – Bad Image C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll
The issue will occur for most programs in your system, and it will not be resolved even if you press OK. Despite numerous attempts to click on OK to exit, a recurrent stream of program windows will open up.
The error 0xc000012f can also occur when the image file being used are not in the correct format. Even though the issue might seem complicated at first, you can fix it through several methods.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Error Status0xc000012f Easily
Update: Before moving forward and tryin methods that are mentioned below. I would recommend you to Reinstall the program again.
The Message dialogue box iteself tells you to try and re-install the software or a program that is showing you Error code 0xc000012f.
Method 1: Uninstall updates and fix 0xc000012f error
The first method to solve the error code 0xc000012f involves uninstalling an update that can cause the issue. For example, if you have a Windows 8 64-bit system, uninstall the KB2879017 update.
This is the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer version 10. If the error started popping after the recent update, go ahead and uninstall it no matter which updates it is.
- Press Windows key + F.
- On the search menu, type “installed updates
- Click on the program, and a new window will open, showing you all the updates in your system.
- Scroll through the list to find update KB2879017 or the latest one.
- Uninstall it.
If you cannot uninstall the update, you can choose to restore our system. To do this:
- Open the search menu by pressing Windows key + and F. Type “restore.” Click on “restore your files from file history.”
- A new window will open up, showing you the available restore points. Pick the one that occurred before the installation of the faulty update.
- Once you are through with the process, mark the update as Windows within the Windows update settings. This will prevent it from automatically downloading and installing.
Uninstalling a recent update or restoring your system to the point where it was not having any issue might solve the 0xc000012f error for you.
Method 2: Install DirectX to solve 0xc000012f error
When the error is linked to STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_NOT_MZ, an image file is not in the correct format.
After downloading the required took, follow the on-screen instructions to install Directx. Once done, Check if error status 0xc000012f is gone or not. If it is still there, follow method #3.
Method 3: Check for new updates
The issue can also be fixed by updating your copy of Windows. In addition, you can check for updates manually to ensure that your system has the latest system drivers and updates.
Press the Windows key and type “windows update” in the search bar to update your Windows. Next, click on the program, and a new window will open. You can then select the option to check for updates. The program will download the latest updates. You can then install the updates, and the error status 0xc000012f will be fixed.
Windows update and open Device Manager and update drivers for all the adapters if any update is available. Updated Drivers are vital to having a PC without errors like 0xc000012f.
Method 4: Clean Boot to fix error status 0xc000012f
You can try to do a clean boot to detect any software that might be causing the issue. In Clean boot mode, no third-party service or program will interfere.
Meaning, Only Microsoft Services will be started while booting your PC. Doing this will ensure there is nothing wrong with any third-party software installed on your PC, causing a 0xc000012f error for you. To clean boot your PC, do the following steps.
- Press the Windows key and type “msconfig.”
- Click on the system configuration app. Go to the system configuration option once a new window opens up.
- Select the option to hide all Microsoft services and click on disable all.
- Next, choose the startup tab and select the option to open the task manager.
- On the startup window, disable all the software one by one. Click OK to accept the settings and restart your PC.
If the error is resolved, you can enable one item at a time while checking if the error 0xc000012f will occur.
Method 5: Install Visual C++ to fix error 0xc000012f
If the methods above are not working, you can download the latest version of Microsoft’s Visual Studio Redistributables.
You can download the program from Microsoft’s website.
Our Research has shown that this method works for many users who are being victims of error status 0xc000012f. We insist you try installing Visual C++ Redistributable if you don’t already have it installed on your system.
If you come across error 0xc000012f, the methods above can resolve the error. First, however, you should ensure that you follow all the steps outlined to fix the issue.