Error 0xc0000022 is one of several specific Windows operating system errors that can be very difficult to troubleshoot. You simply cannot tell before hand its actual cause. This makes it necessary to try out different solutions in an attempt to resolve it.
The general nature of the error also means that the error message you may receive can differ from a message that another user receives Although the error code remains the same.
While you may receive an error message indicating that “The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022). Click OK to close the application”, another user may receive a different message indicating that “System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer’s files and settings were not changed. Details: An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0xc0000022).”
It is clear from the two error messages indicated that you could encounter error 0xc0000022 at two different moments; either when performing a system restore or when launching an application and in particular Microsoft-related applications.
In addition to failed system restore and application launch, the occurrence of the error also makes your computer be sluggish. Your computer can also crash, and you are most likely to be left with an empty black screen.
Reasons for Error code 0xc0000022 on Windows PC
- Missing of corrupt registry files and in particular DLL file(s).
- The installed anti-virus/malware and Firewall programs.
- Lack of or incorrect access rights to the computer (administrative rights).
- Slow/unreliable Internet connection.
- Internal conflicts specific to Microsoft applications.
- Incorrect proxy configuration.
- Virus/malware infection.
How to fix Error code 0xc0000022 On windows 7/8/8.1 & 10
The fact that the error 0xc0000022 can occur because of one or a combination of reasons is what makes it difficult to troubleshoot. Luckily, there are various corrective measures that you can initiate to resolve it.
Method 1 – Basic Steps to Fix Error 0xc0000022
- Ensure that your computer’s connection to the Internet is steady and reliable.
- Run the installed anti-virus/malware program to address any virus/malware that may be there in the system.
- Consider disabling the installed anti-virus/malware program.
Run system restore or launch the app you attempted to launch before the error occurred. Perform the procedure below in case performing these simple Basic measures does not resolve the error 0xc0000022. Ensure that you enable the anti-virus/malware program if the error is resolved.
Method 2 – Acquire Administrative Rights
You may encounter error 0xc0000022 simply because you do not have administrative rights to the computer. Acquiring the rights can easily resolve the error.
- Right-click “C” or the driver that hosts the OS.
- Select “Properties”.
- Click “Security” tab before clicking the “Advanced” button.
- Click “Change” option.
- Type your username in the “Enter the Object name” box that appears.
- Click “OK” to save everything.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Try performing a system restore or launching an app whichever was throwing error to see whether or not the 0xc0000022 error is resolved.
Method 3 – Check Status of Software Protection Service
Because it is possible for the error to occur even after acquiring administrative rights to the computer, you need to check the status of Software Protection Service to ascertain that it is not stopped.
- Press the combination of Win + R keys to open Run Command.
- Type “services.msc” before hitting Enter.
- Search to find “Software Protection”. Analyze status of the service and restart it in case it is stopped.
Restart your computer and Try to do the same thing which was showing you error code 0xc0000022. it must be gone by now but if it isn’t, Try next method.
Method 4 – Run System File Checker
Running the built-in system file checker tool can be helpful in resolving the error. The tool scans and attempts to repair corrupt files that may be the cause of the error.
1. Click “Start”.
2. Type “cmd” in the “Search programs and files” box.
3. Press the combination of CTRL + Shift + Enter before clicking “OK” to open a command prompt.
4. Type “chkdsk/f/r” into the prompt before hitting Enter.
5. Type “Y” in response to the resultant notification.
Restart the computer to allow disk check to run. You need to give the tool time to complete before performing another round of system restore or launching an app to see whether or not the error 0xc0000022 is Fixed.
Method 5 – Run Disk Check Utility
Bad sectors on the disk hosting Windows OS can also cause error 0xc0000022. Run the built-in disk check to see if doing so resolves the error.
Step 1. Press the combination of Win + X keys to open up menu.
Step 2. Select “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
Step 3. Click “Yes” to run command prompt as an administrator.
Step 4. Type “chkdsk”
Step 5. Leave an empty space after the “chkdsk” before typing in the drive letter (C) that you need scanned and hit enter.
Running disk check only identifies damaged sectors and files if any. You need to specify parameters before the utility can perform necessary repairs.
Step 6. Type the following into the prompt immediately after the drive letter “/f/r/x”.
Note that letter “f” tells the utility to fix errors, letter “r” tells it to identify any bad sectors in the disk and letter “x” tells it to dismount the drive before the commencement of the scanning process. Dismounting the disk is necessary because the utility cannot run if the disk is in use.
Press “Enter” to run the scan. Let it complete before restarting your computer. Perform another round of system restore or launch an app to see whether or not this helps you to get rid of error 0xc0000022.
Method 6 – System Restore to fix error 0xc0000022
You only need to perform system restore in a case where the error occurs when you attempt to launch a Microsoft-related app.
- Press the combination of Win + Q key.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Choose “Recovery” icon.
- Select “System Restore” from the resultant open window.
- Choose an earlier date when your computer worked without any issues.
- The tool should start to run before shutting down the computer and restarting it again.
- Try launching an app to see if restoring your system helps to solve error 0xc0000022.
Method 7 – Fresh OS Installation
This will be your last option in resolving error 0xc0000022. Simply backup all your documents before inserting the OS installation drive to re-install the OS. Although it is time-consuming and you will need to start installing necessary updates, it is the only way of having fresh files on your computer.