Last Updated : Thursday, 15 July 2021
Error 0x80071AC3 often arises when you are trying to connect an external hardware on window 7, 8 or 10. The error code will also result when there is a problem with your system, especially when you connect an external file storage system like a hard disk or a USB stick.
The error 0x80071AC3 is also caused by the ReadyBoost feature that can lead to a conflicting issue in your system. Moreover, it can be due to system errors. This can occur when your operating system is unable to access files and other information due to bad sectors on the hard disk or external hardware.
The error code 0x80071AC3 can pop up due to incomplete or faulty device drivers. This is common especially when you are using an old external drive. In this case, the error will be followed with the message ‘Volume is dirty‘. Fortunately, There are several solutions to this error that you can follow.
Table of Contents
- Solutions for error code 0x80071AC3
- Method 1: Use check disk to fix error 0x80071AC3
- Method 2: Disable ReadyBoost
- Method 3: Reinstall the external drive drivers
- Method 4: Allow for writing to the drive from the registry
- Method 5: Use command prompt to fix error 0x80071AC3
- Method 6: Format the external drive
Solutions for error code 0x80071AC3
Method 1: Use check disk to fix error 0x80071AC3
You can try to use the check disk tool to resolve the error. This is a tool that determines and fixes any system errors, and it can resolve the error code. It can fix issues with bad sectors on your hard disk or external drives.
- First, open My computer. Next, right click on local disk C or on the disk drive that is causing errors.
- Right click, and select properties.
- Select the tools tab and click on check.
- Click on the option to scan your drive on the next window.
Checking disk for errors using inbuilt windows tool is a good way to start the procedure of fixing error code 0x80071AC3. But, For more Extensive Scan and Error Fixing, Use Total System Care Tool.
[wpsm_button color=”blue” size=”big” link=”http://www.errorlive.com/TotalSystemCare” icon=”download” border_radius=”1″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Download Total System Care Officially[/wpsm_button]
Method 2: Disable ReadyBoost
You should also disable the ReadyBoost Disk Caching feature if the error persists. To turn off the feature;
- Open My computer.
- Next, right click on the external USB flash drive and select properties.
- Click on the ReadyBoost tab and choose the option “Do not use this device” and accept the changes.
Method 3: Reinstall the external drive drivers
You can use the device manager settings to reinstall the drivers. Follow the steps below to reinstall External Drive drivers.
- Press the Windows key + X and select the device manager.
- Expand the top part of the new window that opens. Right click on the External hard disk or USB flash disk and choose the uninstall option.
- Remove the hardware from your PC.
- Restart your computer, and then open the device manager as described in the steps above.
- Right click on the top part and select “Scan for hardware changes.” Next, connect the external drives.
The error code 0x80071AC3 will be resolved at this point if drivers were the real culprit. Above steps will simply uninstall existing drivers and reinstall new ones which are not corrupt.
If you Need Updated Drivers always for all your Hardware Components, Then Download Driver Agent Tool.
[wpsm_button color=”blue” size=”big” link=”http://www.errorlive.com/DriverAgent” icon=”download” border_radius=”1″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Download Driver Agent Now !!![/wpsm_button]
Method 4: Allow for writing to the drive from the registry
This approach entails ensuring that your registry is allowed to write to drive.
- Press the Windows key + R to open the run window.
- Type “RegEdit” and click on OK.
- A new window will open up. Locate the subkey “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies” Double click on the option named “WriteProtect“.
- This will open a new window with the String Value dialog. If the current value is 1, then writing to your drive has been disabled. In this case, the value should be replaced with 0.
Accept the changes, Simply changing the value should be enough to fix the error 0x80071AC3 on your Windows PC.
Method 5: Use command prompt to fix error 0x80071AC3
You can also resolve the error code through the command prompt. This will resolve issues when files cannot be copied from bad clusters in an old or faulty external drive or USB flash disk.
- In this case, right click on the Windows icon on the lower right side of your desktop.
- Select command prompt (admin).
- Next, type “chkdsk x: /B”. The B switch is used to force the check disk to re-evaluate the faulty clusters and repair them.
Let the process complete and then try to do the task again that was showing error 0x80071AC3 on the screen.
Method 6: Format the external drive
If all the methods suggested above do not work, then you will have to format your external drive or flash disk.
- First, open the windows explorer window by pressing Windows key+ E On the left panel, go to my computer.
- Right on the external hardware and select format.
- Select the button “Restore device defaults” and then click start.
- A new window will open to confirm the process; Click Yes.
Depending on the size of the hard disk, the process will take a few seconds. A confirmation message will appear once the format is complete. This will resolve the error 0x80071AC3.
The Error code 0x80071AC3 can be fixed through several methods. The error can arise due to a myriad of issues, and it can be solved within a few minutes.