Error 0xc0000428 a windows error code that occurs while updating an operating system or in a situation whereby Windows cannot verify the digital signature of a particular file. This error message affects Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Commonly when one receives this error message, then there is probably a 95% chance that your personal computer has registry problems.
Symptoms of Error code 0xc0000428
Error 0xc0000428 on the screen on start up
As your System Boots, the boot manager loader used in Windows 7, 8 and 10 reads boot configuration data and displays the operating system selection menu. In some situations when a user installs a new version of Windows embedding it on an already existing older one the boot manager entries are not updated correctly.
Causes of Error 0xc0000428 on Windows PC
- A hardware or software change might have installed a file that is incorrectly signed or damaged. Chances are that file might be malicious software from anonymous source.
- Boot manager is outdated after a system update. This error may occur if something went wrong during the windows installation process. When a user installs a new version of windows on top of an already existing one the boot manager entries are not updated well, then this error 0xc0000428 may appear and the start up process stops.
- Using an older boot disc with a newer version of windows. In some occasions, a user may install a new version of Windows on a hard drive and then connect a different hard drive with an old version of windows to set up a dual boot mode, in that case, the old version of boot manager will be used and the boot process stops. This can cause errors like 0xc0000428 on your screen with a message which says Your PC needs to be Repaired.
- An actual installation disc was disconnected before Windows installation. This can cause the system bootloader on the main boot disc to remain out-of-date and will cause the error message 0xc0000428 once the drive is returned to the system.
How to Fix 0xc0000428 error code on Windows
a. Update boot manager manually
Since an outdated boot manager often causes this error, replacing it with a correct version is often a good and recommended solution.
Here are the steps to be followed for the boot manager replacement.
- Boot from the Windows installation disc
- Click on Repair your computer after selecting proper language, time and what is to be input by the keyboard.
- Select the Windows installation drive which is usually C:\ and click next.
- Choose “command prompt” when the system recovery dialog box appears.
- Type in the following command then press ENTER:
Bcdboot C:\windows /s D:\
Where C:\windows is your Windows installation folder and
D:\ is your active boot partition.
Other ways to fix 0xc0000428 error code include:
b. Disconnect newly connected hardware.
A current change in your computer’s hardware can be a reason for this problem. If you have recently installed new hardware, disconnect it and reboot your computer. Many a times these hardware changes or Software changes can cause error 0xc0000428. Rectifying it is important in order to proceed with your work,
c. Uninstall recently installed software.
A newly installed software application should be uninstalled from your PC. This currently installed software may have copied incompatible Dynamic Link Libraries files to your hard disk resulting in error code 0xc0000428. All installed software should be sorted regarding installation and chronology by using programs and features under the control panel.
d. Rollback currently updated driver.
Rollback the earlier version of the recently updated driver using device manager. Just right click the device you recently up-to-date and choose rollback driver under the driver’s tab in the device properties dialog box
The 0xc0000428 is a windows error code that should be fixed as early as it is recognized since it can lead to system failures or delays.