Keeping your computer updated at all times is always the best thing to do. Indeed, your computer remains updated with the latest security enhancements that protect against external threats.
The same goes for both Microsoft and third-party software installed on your computer. However, keeping your computer up-to-date can at times not be that smooth. It is possible to encounter update related errors and one such error is Windows update error 0x8024402c, which presents a message indicating that “Error(s) found: Code 0x8024402c Windows update encountered an unknown error.”
This is one of the many Windows Update errors. You are most likely to encounter the error when trying to update your computer or a program. Unlike other Windows Update errors, occurrence of error 0x8024402c is an indication that your computer is unable to determine the correct Internet connection settings that it can use to connect to Windows Update Server. It is possible for your computer to shut down only to present you with the dreaded blue screen of death (BSOD) when the error occurs.
Table of Contents
- Common Reasons for Error 0x8024402c on Windows
- How to Fix Update error 0x8024402c on Windows OS
- Method 1 – Basic Troubleshooting to Fix update error 0x8024402c
- Method 2 – Clear Junk Files
- Method 3 – Install Pending Updates
- Method 4– Check Firewall Settings
- Method 5– Remove Invalid Characters in Proxy Exception List
- Method 6 – Enable Automatic Detection Settings
- Method 7 – Change DNS Servers to fix error 0x8024402c
- Method 8 – Configure Updates Client
Common Reasons for Error 0x8024402c on Windows
Several factors can make it impossible for your computer not to determine the correct Internet settings. They include;
- Junk files with active threats.
- Proxy server issues.
- Incorrect time settings on your computer.
- Incorrect Firewall settings that prevent installation of necessary updates.
- Corrupt/Damaged system files.
- Pending updates.
Like with any Windows error, there are several methods you can initiate to Fix error 0x8024402c.
How to Fix Update error 0x8024402c on Windows OS
Method 1 – Basic Troubleshooting to Fix update error 0x8024402c
- Ensure that time setting on your computer synchronizes with an Internet clock.
- Launch the installed security software to address any virus/malware that may be present in your computer system.
- Ensure that you have administrative rights to the computer.
Restart your computer after these initial checking measures before accessing Windows Update to see whether or not the error is resolved.
Method 2 – Clear Junk Files
Clear all junk files on your computer. Such can host ongoing threats that interfere with smooth download and installation of necessary updates.
- Press the combination of Win + X keys to open up menu.
- Select “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
- Click “Yes” to run command prompt as an administrator.
- Type “cleanmgr” before hitting Enter.
The tool will begin to run automatically. It calculates how much used space you can claim on the hard disk. Check all the dialogue boxes occupied by unnecessary files including the temporary files box.
Click “OK” to let the tool remove all junk files. This might and might not work to help you fix error 0x8024402c but it won’t harm your PC. If it works then good.
Method 3 – Install Pending Updates
Your computer can download updates but fail to install the same, which can cause error 0x8024402c when you attempt to install updates from Windows Update Store manually. So, You simply need to check if there is any update that is pending installation.
Step 1. Click “Start”.
Step 2. Type “Update” in search box before hitting Enter.
Step 3. Look for any uninstalled update(s) on the resultant Windows Update dialogue box that appears. Right-click on each and update the same. If you had any pending updates that is yet to be installed then do it and you will be good to go without update error code 0x8024402c this time
Method 4– Check Firewall Settings
There are times when Windows Firewall mistakes Windows Installer as spam and blocks installation of any update(s). Turning Firewall on or off can help in resolving the error.
- Press and hold down the Win +R key to open command prompt.
- Type “Firewall.cpl” in the prompt before clicking OK.
- Click on “Turn Windows Firewall On or Off”.
- Go to Private Settings and select “Turn off Windows firewall”.
- Repeat step 4 for Public Network Setting.
- Press OK.
Now, Check to see turning off windows firewall fixes 0x8024402c error for you or not.
Method 5– Remove Invalid Characters in Proxy Exception List
Step 1) Launch Internet Explorer.
Step 2) Select the Gear Icon at the top right section before selecting “Internet Options”.
Step 3) Click on “Connections” tab before clicking on “LAN Settings”.
Step 4) Check “Use a proxy server for your LAN” box on the resultant window if the box is not checked.
Step 5) Click “Advanced” tab.
Step 6) Copy all that is there in the “Do not use a proxy server for addresses beginning with” field. Do this before clearing the field.
Step 7) Click “OK” to exit Internet Explorer. Open the command prompt and do the following;
- Type “netsh winhttp reset proxy” and hit Enter.
- Type “net stop wuauserv” and hit Enter.
- Type “net start wuauserv” and hit Enter.
Now, you may want to check if you are able to download and install updates on your Windows system. if you don’t get error 0x8024402c this time, it means you are good to go.
Method 6 – Enable Automatic Detection Settings
You may encounter error 0x8024402c simply because your computer is not sure how it should connect to the Internet. Automating detection settings can easily resolve the error.
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Click “Tools” >”Internet Options.”
- Now, Click “Local Area Network (LAN) Settings.”
- Check the “Automatically Detect Settings” box before clicking OK.
Method 7 – Change DNS Servers to fix error 0x8024402c
Issues with your ISP can lead to the occurrence of error 0x8024402c. Adding public DNS server can quickly resolve the error.
- Press the combination of Win + R to open command prompt.
- Type “ncpa.cpl” in the prompt before hitting Enter.
- Double-click on your computer’s active network adapter.
- Click “Properties”.
- Click to open “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” properties.
- Select “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
- Type “126.96.36.199” and “188.8.131.52” before clicking OK twice to close network settings.
Close each window one by one and go to Windows update to see if you are able to download updates without error 0x8024402c.
Method 8 – Configure Updates Client
This should be your last option in addressing error 0x8024402c in case any of the above methods does not lead to a satisfactory resolution.
This method requires that you connect your computer to the Internet.
1. Press the combination of Win + R keys to open command prompt while your computer is attached to the Internet.
2. Type “Regedit” in the prompt before hitting Enter.
3. Locate the following key in the resultant windows register “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU”.
4. Double-click “UseWUServer” on the right to open it.
5. Change the value therein from 1 to 0.
6. Press “OK” to apply the changes before exiting registry editor.Restart your computer before accessing Windows Update Store to see whether or not the error is resolved.
One of the above methods should resolve error 0x8024402c. It is only in exceptional circumstances when the error remains persistent that you will need to perform the system restore and fresh installation of the operating system if necessary.