Last Updated : Wednesday, 28 July 2021
The Windows Error 0x80070643 is one of the many errors you may encounter while using Windows OS. It is a general error that can appear on your computer screen during the automatic update of Windows update, installation of Security Essentials, or installing a Windows program.
There are various reasons (causes) why you may encounter error 0x800070643. Some of the main reasons are;
- Failure to install the latest Windows updates makes installing the most recent update(s) impossible.
- Damaged or corrupt system files.
- When the Windows Update feature cannot access some of your data, it requires authenticating the installation.
- Virus/Malware infection.
- Corrupt .Net Framework.
- Corrupt or disabled Microsoft Source Engine (Ose.exe).
- Installed third-party antivirus/malware program.
- Errors in the computer system registry.
Although Error Code 0x80070643 does not hinder you from using your computer, the mere fact that your computer cannot install an update in itself should be a cause for concern. It is, therefore, vital that you make all attempts to fix the 0x80070643 error.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix Error Code 0x80070643
- Solution 1: Fix Virus/Malware Infection
- Solution 2: Uninstall Antivirus/Malware Program to fix 0x80070643
- Do the following to uninstall the program.
- Solution 3: Repair Damaged System Files
- Solution 4: Restart (OSE) Service
- Solution 5: Update Windows Defender to fix 0x80070643
- Solution 6: Update/Repair .Net Framework
How to Fix Error Code 0x80070643
There is no single solution that fixes error 0x80070643. A solution that works depends on a particular cause. Below are just some of the solutions that work to fix the error.
Solution 1: Fix Virus/Malware Infection
Run a full scan of the installed antivirus/malware program. You may be surprised to find that the error is caused by a virus/malware in your computer system.
Try to install an update if the error appeared when installing the same. The error should be fixed if the error does not occur again.
Solution 2: Uninstall Antivirus/Malware Program to fix 0x80070643
Error 0x80070643 can occur just because of the installed antivirus/malware program. The error can quickly arise when you have two different third-party antivirus/malware programs installed. It would be best if you also considered disabling the only antivirus/malware program installed to see whether doing so allows smooth installation of updates.
Do the following to uninstall the program.
- Navigate to the Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Right-click on the antivirus/malware program and select Uninstall.
- Allow the un-installation process to complete before installing the update again to see if the 0x80070643 error is fixed.
Solution 3: Repair Damaged System Files
Standard installation and un-installation of programs on/from your computer corrupt some system files, which can cause error 0x80070643. Repair such files, if any, to fix the error.
Give the tool time to check and repair any corrupt system files before reverting to what you were doing to see if the error is fixed.
Solution 4: Restart (OSE) Service
You can encounter error code 0x80070643 simply because the Office Source Engine (OSE) service is disabled. Note that this solution will work if the error occurs during the installation of OSE-related updates.
Solution 5: Update Windows Defender to fix 0x80070643
This solution will fix the error very quickly if it is related to the Windows Update feature (Defender).
Give the app time to check for and download available updates to install. Then, revert to whatever you were doing before the error 0x80070643 occurred once the installation is complete.
Solution 6: Update/Repair .Net Framework
The .Net Framework is not only critical in allowing programs to run on your computer. It also plays an essential role during the installation of programs and updates. An outdated or damaged .Net Framework will easily cause error 0x80070643.
Note that it is possible to find the .NET Framework missing, in which case you need to download and install it. Then, revert to whatever you were doing before the error occurred to see if it is fixed.
One of these solutions should work for you to fix error 0x80070643. You will need to consider restoring your computer to an earlier date when performing installations without any errors. It is only in exceptional circumstances that you will need to complete a fresh installation of the OS, in which case you need to backup all your essential files.