There are many Windows errors that you can encounter while using a computer running on any Windows operating system. While some errors are general, others are very specific, which gives you an idea of where a problem lies. One such specific Windows error is Code 8024402f, which is normally accompanied with a message indicating “Windows Update encountered an unknown error” or something similar.
This is a very specific Windows error because it relates to Windows Update in windows 7/8/8.1 & 10 too. Although you can encounter the error at any time, the most likely moment you may encounter it is after upgrading your computer’s OS and the necessary updates fail to install.
You can also encounter error code 8024402f when you attempt to run Windows Update feature. The error prevents installation of any updates even though such updates may have already been downloaded.
Table of Contents
Causes of Error Code 8024402f on Windows PC
Several factors are responsible for causing this error. While minor are very minor, others turn out to be a bit complicated. Some of the causative factors include but not limited to;
- Unstable/unreliable Internet connection.
- Installed anti-virus/malware program.
- Lack of communication between your computer and Windows Update Center.
- Incorrect proxy settings.
There are several solutions to error 8024402f. Most of the solutions are simple procedures that you can initiate even without any technical knowledge of computers.
How to fix error code 8024402f Easy steps
Method 1 – Basic Troubleshooting to fix Code 8024402f
Windows updates can fail to install because of a minor issues. Consider disabling the installed anti-virus/malware program and firewall before you try to install the updates again. Y
ou also need to ensure that there are no active filters in addition to ensuring that your Internet connection is stable. Try these simple housekeeping measures to see whether or not doing so resolves the error code 8024402f.
Method 2 – Manual Update Installation
You have the option of installing downloaded updates manually in case the above housekeeping measures do not resolve the error. This makes it necessary to access the Windows update log file to ascertain which update(s) failed to install.
- Press the combination of Win and R keys to open the Run box.
- Type “windowsupdate.log” in the box before clicking “OK”.
- You should be presented with a notepad file showing the date in the first column. Go to the bottom of the file to see latest entries. You should be able to find a date and an update that failed to install. Note the failed update or updates, close everything and search for the folder in which the update or updates was downloaded to.
- Click “Start”.
- Type “cmd” in the “Run” box and click “OK” to open a command prompt.
- Type “dism/online/add-package/packagepath:C\update\myupdate.cab. The part “C:\update\myupdate.cab” should reflect name of the folder you noted earlier where the update was downloaded to.
- Press “Enter” for the update to be installed.
Manually trying to install update should work in most cases. Doing it manually will fix any error like code 8024402f that is caused if you try to install updates from Windows update feature.
Method 3 – Check Windows Update Service
- Press the combination of Win + R keys.
- Type “services.msc”.
- Locate the following services and ascertain whether or not they are running; Windows Update Services, MSI Installer, BITS, and Cryptographic.
- Right-click on any services that are stopped and click to start them.
- Restart your computer and try the installation again to see whether or not the error is resolved.
Method 4 – Check Time Settings
Windows error code 8024402f can easily occur because of something as simple as incorrect time settings.
- Access your computer’s control panel.
- Select the “Clock, Language, and Region” option.
- Select “Date and Time” to open another window.
- Click on “Change Time Zone” before setting the correct time zone.
- Click “OK” before restarting your computer before installing the update to see whether or not the error 8024402f persists.
Method 5 – System Restore
You have the option of restoring your computer to an earlier date. This option can be helpful in case you downloaded and installed a program or application that may have interfered with update files.
The following procedure is specifically for Windows 8 OS but should give you an idea on how to the same on any other Windows OS.
- Press the combination of Win + Q key.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Choose “Recovery” icon.
- Select “System Restore” from the resultant open window.
- Choose an earlier date when your computer worked without any issues.
- The tool should start to run before shutting down the computer and restarting it again.
- Try installing updates to see whether or not this resolves the 8024402f code.
Although it is almost impossible to prevent all Windows errors, there are some errors that you can easily prevent and save on time you would waste finding solutions.
Error Code 8024402f is one such error. One great way you can prevent the error is to install and run the anti-virus program on a regular basis. It is also important that you only download programs and apps from reliable sites.