Windows Update error code 8024402c is one of Windows OS errors you can encounter at any time while using your computer. It is an update-related error that appears on your computer screen with a message indicating that your OS is unable to search for new updates or some updates have not been installed. OR Windows update encountered an unknown error.
Although you can encounter this at any time, the most likely moment is when upgrading your current Windows OS to Windows 10 or soon after the upgrade. Although harmless in nature, it can prevent your upgrade, which makes it necessary to fit it at the earliest opportune time.
Table of Contents
- Factors causing Error code 8024402c
- Fixing Error code 8024402c in Windows 7/8/8.1 & 10
- Method 1- Full Computer Scan to fix 8024402c error
- Method 2 – Run Update Troubleshooter
- Method 3 – Disable Antivirus Software
- Method 4 – Add Firewall Exception
- Method 5 – Check and Configure Proxy Settings
- Method 6: Check and Configure System Settings
- Method 7 – Configure DNS Settings
Factors causing Error code 8024402c
- Invalid settings in your network.
- If your computer is connected to a local network, it operates under the management of a Windows Server.
- Incorrect proxy settings.
- Poor connectivity either to the Internet or to Windows Server.
- If there is a running program that prevents download or installation of updates.
- Corrupted registry files.
- Incorrect Windows Firewall settings.
- Infection of virus/malware.
These are just a few of the factors that can cause Windows error code 8024402c. There is really no one single way of fixing this error simply because of the many possible causative factors.
Below are several ways you can try out and possibly find one that works depending on the specific cause. While some methods are simple and straightforward, others require that you have full administrative rights the computer. Some methods also require that you stay connected to the Internet.
Fixing Error code 8024402c in Windows 7/8/8.1 & 10
Method 1- Full Computer Scan to fix 8024402c error
You may encounter this error simply because of virus/malware infection. You need to run your anti-virus software for any of such to see if doing so resolves the issue.
Method 2 – Run Update Troubleshooter
Running Windows Update troubleshooter can easily fix the error by checking and fixing issues with Windows Update.
- Download & Click to Run the troubleshooter.
- Click to accept License Agreement that appears.
- Again, click on “Detect problems and apply the fixes (Recommended).”
Allow the troubleshooter to complete before restarting your computer to see whether or not doing so resolves the 8024402c error code problem in your Windows 7/8/8.1 or Windows 10 System.
Method 3 – Disable Antivirus Software
This method works in case it is the installed anti-virus software that is preventing installation of updates. Note that an anti-virus program can consider installation files as spam and automatically stops their installation.
Many times third party Antivirus softwares may conflict with tasks you perform on your system. Consider disabling the installed anti-virus software to see whether or not doing so resolves the issue.
Method 4 – Add Firewall Exception
Just like with installed anti-virus software, the built-in Windows Firewall helps in protecting your computer. It is designed to block any program or installation unless such a program or installation source is not added as one of the exceptions not to be blocked.
Step 1: Navigate to your Computer’s control panel to access the firewall software.
Step 2: Check to ensure that the following Windows sites are on the exception list. You need to add them to the list just in case they are not listed and added as exceptions;
Windowsupdate.microsoft.com, download.windowsupdate.com, and windowsupdate.micosoft.com
You may need to restart your computer and attempt to upgrade the OS to see whether or not the error 8024402c is resolved.
Method 5 – Check and Configure Proxy Settings
This method applies in a case where you use your network through a proxy in which case you need to have correct configuration.
- Click “Start” before clicking “Search Box” to open dialogue box.
- Type “cmd” in the dialogue box before hitting Enter.
- Type the command “netsh winhttp import proxy source=ie” in the prompt before hitting Enter.
- Disable proxy in Network Settings unless you receive a message indicating that there is no proxy server.
Doing steps about should help you to get rid of error code 8024402c on your System, but if this too fails then move to method #6.
Method 6: Check and Configure System Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer even if you use a different browser.
2. Click “Tools” window at the top.
3. look for “Internet Options.”
4. Select “LAN Settings.”
5. Click “Advanced Options.”
6. Uncheck everything in “Exceptions” section.
7. Close Internet Explorer.
8. Click “Start” before clicking “Run.”
9. Type “cmd” in the resultant field before hitting Enter to open the command prompt.
10. Now, write “net stop wuauserv” in the prompt and hit Enter.
11. Again type “net start wuauserv” and hit Enter.
Your proxy cache will have been cleared. Try installing updates again to see your Windows update error code 8024402c fixed.
Method 7 – Configure DNS Settings
Windows error 8024402c can easily be caused by incorrect setting of Domain Name System (DNS) that prevents your Windows Update client from connecting either to your DNS server or Windows Update Center.
- Press the combination of Win + R Keys.
- Type “ncpa.cpl” in the resultant command prompt before hitting Enter.
- Double click the Network Adapter that is active to open it’s “Properties.”
- Now, click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4” and open its properties too.
- Click “Use the following DNS server address.”
- Type “184.108.40.206” and “220.127.116.11” before pressing OK (twice) to navigate away from Network Settings and restart your computer to see whether or not the issue is resolved.
You can easily fix Windows error 8024402c by employing any of the above corrective methods. Even so, it is always necessary that you prevent the occurrence of such errors and the only effective way of doing so is to ensure that your computer remains healthy and ensuring that updates are installed whenever they become available.