The Windows update error 80072f8f is one of the several errors that relate to Windows Update. It can occur on any Windows OS. It is also one of the several cross-cutting errors because it also happens on Windows phones. The occurrence of the error prevents your computer from checking for available updates automatically.
The most possible moment when you may encounter this error is when accessing Windows Update. You will get error code 80072f8f while trying to check for updates and the accompanying message will suddenly appear on your computer screen the moment you attempt to download any available update.
The error message may appear as “Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer”, “Can’t check for updates automatically” or “Code 80072f8f, Windows Update encountered an Unknown error.”
Table of Contents
Possible Causes of Error Code 80072f8f
- Junk files with current threats.
- Corrupt system files.
- Corrupt registry files and in particular DLL files responsible for updating your computer.
- Incorrect time settings on your computer.
- Firewall and the installed third-party security programs.
- A damaged/corrupt update that is installed and in particular if update KB 2919355 is damaged.
- Pending updates that have not been installed.
There are various solutions to resolving error 80072f8f that you can try out in case you encounter the error.
How to fix error code 80072f8f on Windows PC
Method 1 – Basic Troubleshooting to fix code 80072f8f
You need to ensure that your computer is in good health before you attempt to resolve the error.
- Run a full scan of your computer with the installed third-party security program.
- Disable both the Firewall and the third-party security software.
- Access Windows Update site to see whether or not the error is resolved.
You will need to enable Firewall and security programs in case this housekeeping procedure is successful in resolving the error.
Method 2 – Check to Configure Time Settings
Incorrect time setting is a major cause of error 80072f8f. Ensuring that your computer’s clock synchronizes with an Internet time server can resolve the error very easily.
- Press the combination of Win + R keys to open dialogue box.
- Type “Control Panel” in the dialogue box before hitting Enter.
- Open “Date and Time”.
- Press on “Change date and time” and make corrections if necessary.
- Configure your time zone before pressing “OK.
- Press on “Internet Time” tab before selecting “Change Settings”.
- Check “Synchronize with an Internet time server” before choosing the Time Sever from the list presented.
- Press “Update Now”.
- Press “OK” twice to complete the configuration and close all open windows.
Now, Access Windows Update to see whether the code Press “OK” twice to complete the configuration and close all open windows. error has been fixed or not.
Method 3 – Remove Junk Files
Not all junk files are safe. Some junk files become the host of actual threats that can cause various errors including error 80072f8f. Removing the files can resolve the error.
1. Press the combination of Win + X keys open up menu.
2. Select “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
3. Click “Yes” to run the command prompt as an administrator.
4. Type “cleanmgr” before hitting Enter.
5. The tool will begin to run automatically. It calculates how much used space you can claim on the hard disk. Check all the dialogue boxes occupied by unnecessary files including the temporary files box.
6. Click “OK” to let the tool remove all junk files. Access Windows Update site to see whether or not the error is resolved.
Method 4 – Install Pending Updates to fix error 80072f8f
- Click “Start”.
- Type “Update” in search box before hitting Enter.
- Look for any uninstalled update(s) on the resultant Windows Update dialogue box that appears. Right-click on each and update the same.
Restart your computer before accessing Windows Update and try to install updates, this time you should not get error code 80072f8f on your PC screen.
Method 5 – Re-register DLL Files
It will become necessary to re-register DLL files in case some of the files are corrupt and therefore causing the error.
- Click “Start”.
- Type “Command Prompt” in the resultant search box before hitting Enter.
- Choose to run the prompt as administrator before clicking “Continue”.
- Type “regsvr32 Softpub.dll/s” in the prompt before hitting Enter.
- Repeat step 4 but typing “regsv32 Initpki.dll/s”, “regsvr32 Wintrust.dll/s” and “regsvr32 Mssip32.dll/s”, hitting Enter after every entry.
- Close command prompts before restarting your computer.
If dll files were the real issue behind the error, it should be fixed by now. You can now go ahead and try to install pending updates which are available.
Inability to determine error 80072f8f using through any of the above procedures will signal a serious issue with the integrity of your computer. It may mean that error is caused by a combination of factors that may require that you perform the system restore or fresh re-installation of the OS.