Blue Screen error 0xc000021a is one of several Windows errors that lead to the dreaded blue screen (BSoD). You can encounter this error regardless of which version of Windows OS you use.
Your computer can be working well before you shut it down only for the error to appear when you restart it soon after or while using your computer. The error can also occur while installing a program or after adding a hardware component. Suddenly, “Your PC ran into a Problem and needs to restart” may be shown on the screen with error code 0xc000021a.
Your computer’s operating system is the foundation of all programs, applications, and apps. It provides the necessary support for everything to run. The OS automatically shuts down when a system process fails to initialize properly, fails to start or causes a conflict with other programs and applications. The shut down is important because it prevents damage to the OS or the whole system, which can be fatal.
Table of Contents
- Error 0xc000021a can be caused because of
- Fixing Error code 0xc000021a in Windows 7/8/8.1 &10
- Method 1 – Uninstall Software/Hardware.
- Method 2 – Startup Repair Option to fix error 0xc000021a
- Method 3 – Use a Configuration that Worked Previously
- Method 4 – Disable Mis-configured Services
- Method 5 – Restore System and fix BSOD error 0xc000021a
- Method 6 – Run DISM Command
- Method 7 – Fresh Windows OS Install
Error 0xc000021a can be caused because of
- Damaged Csrss.exe or Winlog.exe files, the two critical operating system files that inform system operations.
- Premature unloading of Wbemprox.dll library.
- Incorrect configuration or corrupt device drivers.
- Insufficient space in the hard disk or partition.
- Damaged or corrupt Windows registry.
- Installed software that is not compatible with OS.
Now that you know the possible reasons for error code 0xc000021a, Let us now see how to fix this Blue screen error.
Fixing Error code 0xc000021a in Windows 7/8/8.1 &10
Fixing error 0xc000021a can be a challenge and time consuming unless you know an action that you recently took that may be causing it. However, there are several methods you can try out to see if any of them resolves the problem.
Method 1 – Uninstall Software/Hardware.
This is one of easiest methods you can use to resolve the problem. This is in a case where you recently installed any software or hardware. Uninstalling the same can fix the error because such software may be incompatible with your OS.
So, if you have recently installed some Software; just go to Control panel and Uninstall it from there. And if you have added some hardware like More RAM or Graphic Card, Just try and remove it. Now boot your PC and see if this fixes 0xc000021a error for you.
Method 2 – Startup Repair Option to fix error 0xc000021a
Performing a quick startup repair is the other easy way of resolving error 0xc000021a. This particularly works for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 OS’s and requires the use of installation USB or DVD.
- Insert installation device in the right port or drive.
- Select your preferred language, time, currency format, input method before clicking next.
- Click “Advanced Options > Automatic Repair before selecting OS.
Your computer should automatically launch repair, This may take some time so be patient. After completing the Process, you should not see any error like 0xc000021a while booting this time. Automatic Repair must resolve the issue.
Method 3 – Use a Configuration that Worked Previously
This method can be effective in a case where the cause of 0xc000021a relates to corrupted Registry files. Using a configuration that worked with no errors in the past instructs the OS to use a version of Registry that does not have errors.
- Start or restart your computer and press F8 repeatedly just before the appearance of Windows logo.
- Select the configuration in the options menu that appears.
- Hit Enter.
Your computer should restart automatically. The error 0xc000021a should be resolved if causative factor relates to Registry files.
Method 4 – Disable Mis-configured Services
Error code 0xc000021a can easily be caused by a driver or installed software that starts when you start your computer, which in effect interferes with smooth starting of the OS. You can easily resolve the error by disabling services in system configuration. This applies if the error occurs later after your computer has started.
- Start or restart your computer.
- Press Windows + R Key to open Run Box.
- Type “msconfig” in run box that appears before hitting Enter.
- Navigate to “Services.” tab and check the box which says “hide all microsoft services”
- Now Click on Disable all.
- Goto Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager
- Disable all programs that loads on Startup from there.
Restart your computer for the changes to take effect and see whether or not this resolves the BSOD error 0xc000021a.
It is important that you debug the service causing the error should the above method resolve the problem.
You can do this by restarting your computer again and enabling the services one after another and restarting your computer until you identify a service that causes the error.
Method 5 – Restore System and fix BSOD error 0xc000021a
This method serves to restore your computer to an earlier state when it worked without any errors.
1. Start or restart your computer.
2. Press F8 repeatedly before the appearance of Windows logo.
3. Select Safe mode before pressing Enter. (Booting Windows in safe mode is optional)
4. Open Command prompt as Administrator.
5. Type “%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe” in the prompt and follow instructions that come up on the screen.
You need to restart your computer again just in case it does not restart automatically to see whether or not this resolves the error. Note that this method will work only if you already have a restore point created earlier. Sometimes the Restore point is created automatically. Users should manually create restore point when their computer is running without issues.
Method 6 – Run DISM Command
You can attempt to resolve error 0xc000021a by starting or restarting your computer in safe mode and running DISM command. Doing so clears any pending updates that may cause the error.
- Start or restart your computer.
- Press F8 key repeatedly before the appearance of Windows logo.
- Select “Troubleshoot.“
- Choose “Advanced Options” > Startup Options.
- Click “Restart.“
- Press F6 key to boot in safe mode.
- Type “dism/image:C:\cleanup-image/revertpendingactions“.
- Restart your computer to see if doing so resolves the problem.
Method 7 – Fresh Windows OS Install
Fresh installation of Windows OS should be your last option just in case any of the above methods resolves the error. Note that you need to backup all your files before you undertake fresh installation.Almost all errors that you can encounter while using any Windows OS including error 0xc000021a are preventable.
You can easily prevent most of the errors by downloading and installing device drivers and Windows updates whenever they become available. It is also necessary that you scan your computer for viruses and malware on a regular basis.