The Windows Error code 0x80073712 is one of error encountered by users of PCs, laptops and notebooks running on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. The error code is usually accompanied by a message indicating “ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT” or “Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073712” and sometimes “Windows Update encountered an unknown error”
The error is one of several Windows Update errors you may encounter when either updating your computer or after upgrading your computer and installing necessary updates. However, it differs from other Windows Update related errors.
This is because unlike other errors that point to either a corrupted or missing file that Windows Update Center requires to perform smooth update installation, error code 0x80073712 points to the corruption of several or a group damaged or corrupted files. This just means that the files cannot open.
Table of Contents
Reasons for Windows Update error 0x80073712
The appearance of the Windows Update error code 0x80073712 on your computer screen can occur at any time.
For eg: While trying to update your computer or after upgrading your computer.
The Update installation can start off very smoothly only to reach a point when they cannot be installed further. Indeed, you may encounter the problem after upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10.
Encountering the error is certainly not a rosy affair. It literally puts you in a very bad situation. Luckily, there are several corrective methods. You can use one of them to fix the error in order to complete installation of Windows updates. Performing any of the corrective measures requires that you have full administrative rights to your computer or any other computer with the same issue.
How to Fix Error code 0x80073712
Method 1: Housekeeping
This is the easiest corrective measure you need to undertake before you attempt to do anything else for Fixing error code 0x80073712. It pays to ensure that you have up-to-date anti-virus software.
Some housekeeping measures you can initiate include running antivirus program to get rid of any present virus/malware and uninstalling any recently installed program or app among other minor measures before attempting to install updates again.
Method 2 – Windows Update Components Reset
This is another easy and straightforward corrective measure you can initiate regardless of Windows OS you are using.
- Visit This Microsoft web page and locate the Fixit Tool for your specific Windows OS.
- Click on the “Run now” button and let it run to fix any update issues on your computer.
- After it is finished, you will be able to download your pending updates smoothly. if not, move to next method.
If the problem is with the Windows Update Component, then running the official fixit tool sometimes helps in dealing with errors like 0x80073712.
Method 3 – Renaming Software Distribution Folder
In this method we will simply stop the Windows update service, Rename a folder called SoftwareDistribution and then Start Windows update service again. There is a very simple way to do this using Command Prompt as Admin. On Research we found that many users were able to get rid of Code 0x80073712 after performing below steps.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator by Pressing Combination of Windows + X keys and then Clicking on Command Prompt (Admin)
- Now type net stop wuauserv and hit enter.
- Again, Type ren c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old and hit enter.
- Lastly, Type net start wuauserv and hit enter.
That is it, we are done and you can close the Command prompt and see if this have fixed Error 0X80073712 for you or not.
Method 4 – System Restoration
Your computer has the System Restore functionality that you can use to overcome most errors. Although the following procedure for restoring your computer can be different depending on your Windows OS, it points to a similar corrective measure you can initiate. You also have the option of following instructions on your screen.
- Click on Stat and type “System restore” into the search programs and files search box.
- Right-click on System Restore before selecting “Run as administrator.”
- Proceed to click “Next” on the dialogue box to open a calendar with dates in bold. The dates are the system restore points.
- Click on the most likely date when your computer was working without any issues before clicking on “Finish.”
- Restart your computer and attempt another round of update installation.
This method is only possible if you have Created a System restore earlier, However, many times while installing certain programs; a System Restore point is automatically Created for Safety. If you find a Restore Point, Consider yourself lucky. Now, Try and see if Code 0x80073712 error persists or not.
Method 5: Use USB Stick
This procedure applies in a case where you have upgraded your computer to Windows 10. The USB stick should be clean, empty and be of 3GB or above.
- Visit Microsoft website to download “Media Creation Tool.”
- Run the tool, selecting your preferred language, your Windows edition, and architecture when prompted to do so.
- Click on Create a Flash drive. Make sure you have a USB Stick inserted.
- Let the tool run and download Windows 10 in the Stick.
- Once everything is done, Change Boot Priority settings and select your USB Stick to Boot first.
- The Installation Should Start afresh.
Method 6 – Re-Installation of Existing Windows OS
This method to fix Windows update error 0x80073712 only becomes necessary after all the above measures have failed. It involves undertaking fresh installation of your existing Windows OS. This is with the aim of getting rid of any virus, malware, damaged/corrupted files and many other issues. It is important that you back-up all your important files.
Although performing a fresh installation of the existing Windows OS can be time-consuming and requires that you download necessary updates, it may be your only solution to having your computer run smoothly again without any error like 0x80073712.
After completion of the re-installation process, you should find it easy and trouble-free to either install Windows updates on a regular basis or after upgrading your computer.
There are certainly other corrective measures that involve using the command prompt by inputting specific commands to resolve the error. Unfortunately, most of such moves never get to settle the error. It may be necessary to engage the service of a qualified technician with the necessary knowledge and techniques on how to use the command prompt.
It is always important to ensure that your computer can download and install Windows updates whenever they become available or do so manually on a regular basis. Most updates are usually security updates that serve to protect your system’s files. Doing so makes it possible for you to perform an upgrade without any error code 0x80073712 coming up on the screen.