Error code 0x800706b5 is a common issue that arises due to a problem with Windows Update. The issue is common among Windows 8 and 10 users. The error can appear when you have pending updates that have been downloaded and are ready to install.
The Error 0x800706b5 issue can also arise from corrupted windows files. For many users, the error code will occur while trying to restart their computer while it has some pending updates that have not been installed.
Table of Contents
How to fix error code 0x800706b5 on Windows
Method 1: Install pending updates to fix error 0x800706b5
The first step entails installing any pending updates that have been downloaded earlier. If you had installed any updates but have not installed it then this error 0x800706b5 may appear. Some Updates needs you to restart your PC to complete Installation Process.
First, go to the shutdown menu. To access the menu, go to the Windows icon and right click. Select the option to update your computer during a restart. This will restart your PC, and it will install any pending updates that had been downloaded. If Pending Updates were the issue, then this will solve erorr code 0x800706b5 for you.
Method 2: Troubleshoot Windows Update
If the first method fails, then you can use the troubleshooter to resolve any issues with windows update.
- Press the Windows Key and search for troubleshooting.
- Next, click on Troubleshooting and select the option “view all” that is located in the left pane.
- Choose Windows Update and select the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- A new window will open up. Follow the on-screen directions, and the troubleshooter will fix any issues with Windows Update.
Method 3: Reset Windows Update components
This approach entails automatically resetting the Windows Update Components.
- First, go to the Microsoft website and search for the Windows Update troubleshooter.
- You can download either of the two versions.One is for Windows 10, and the second version applies to Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 8.
- Run the tool and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Once the diagnostics tool has completed the process, the 0x800706b5 error code will be resolved.
Method 4: Check for system file errors to fix error 0x800706b5
This method entails fixing any file and system errors using the System File Checker tool. If a Windows Resource file is corrupted is missing or corrupt, then it will lead to the error code.
To access the tool: Go to the Windows icon and right click. Choose “command prompt (Admin)” to open the command prompt window in administrator mode.
Type “sfc /scannow” and press enter. This will scan your system files, and any corrupted files will be interchanged with a cached copy that is located at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache in a compressed folder.Allow the process to run until it gets to 100%.
Once complete, you will get a message that the tool has repaired the corrupt files. The error code 0x800706b5 will be fixed.
The tool can fail to repair the corrupted files. You will have to manually fix them by deleting the corrupt files and pasting the proper version from the cached copy.In some cases, the tool can fail to detect any corrupt files. In this case, you will have to proceed with method 5 below.
Method 5: Perform a clean boot to solve 0x800706b5 error
The error code can also be resolved through a clean boot. To begin the process do the following;
- Press the Windows Key + R. Type “taskmgr” and press enter.
- This will open the task manager. Click on the startup tab.
- Disable all applications that have been enabled on startup. Select the application and disable it.
- Next, press the Windows Key + R. Type “msconfig” and click OK.
- The system configuration window will open. Choose the services table and check the option to hide all Microsoft services.
- Disable the remaining services. You can then restart your PC.This will resolve the error code 0x800706b5, and your windows will be updated.
Error 0x800706b5 is a common issue with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 users. The error code can be an inconvenience. It arises from a problem with Windows Update. However, several methods can quickly fix and resolve the error. You can resume using your computer within no time.