Error code 0x8007042c is a common issue that arises when you are trying to check for Windows updates. It is common for Windows 7, 8, and 10 users. The error can also popup when you are trying to access the windows firewall settings.
The error 0x8007042c can also occur when you are tryinig to upgrade to Windows 10. This error code is accompanied by the message “There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8007042c)“.
If you are having the error in Windows firewall then the error may read “Windows Firewall Can’t change some of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c“. The problem can be devastating to users, especially when the updates are required. However, there are several methods that you can use to resolve it.
Table of Contents
Solutions for error code 0x8007042c on Windows
Method 1: Use Inbuilt Troubleshooter to fix error code 0x8007042c
The first resolution for update errors is by using window troubleshooter. The built-in tool can quickly detect and fix the error. To access the tool;
- Press the Windows key and search for troubleshooter.
- Next, click on troubleshooter and select the settings tab that is below the search box.
- Click on the option to find and fix problems and then select the view all’ option.
- Next, select the windows update troubleshooter and run it.
The process will take a few minutes to find and fix any errors. Once it is complete, you can try to update your windows again. You can also allow your windows OS to update itself during the next scheduled time. This may or may not help you to fix 0x8007042c error but one should start the fixing process with it.
Method 2: Toggle windows services
You can also try to access the windows update service. If you are unable to do so, then there are several services that you should start.
- Press the Windows + R key, then type “services.msc”.
- Find the windows update service from the list.
- Right click on it, and then choose the properties option.
- Look for the entry that determines the startup type, and choose the automatic option.
- Next, select start that is located in the services status menu.
- Select OK to accept the changes.
- You should also toggle the startup type to automatic for other services which include the cryptographic service, Windows installer, Windows time, and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
Initially, the Windows installer startup type would be grayed out, but you can toggle it to automatic. Simply starting Windows services that are required to update your PC should help you to get rid of error code 0x8007042c.
Method 3: Disable Anti-Virus and fix error 0x8007042c
The error can also arise when you have third party antivirus installed on your system, and you are trying to update to Windows 10. In this case, you have to follow several steps to solve the error.
- Uninstall any third party antivirus you have on your system.
- Next, click on the Windows key on Windows 7 and search for updates.
- Open the updates window, and then check for updates.
- Install all the updates on your system, including any optional updates.
- Once the installation is completed, restart your computer.
By Disabling your Anti-virus you can make sure it will not conflict with any of the windows update service or Windows firewall. This can indeed prove to be useful to fix error 0x8007042c.
If you are getting this error while Upgrading to Windows 10, You should again use Windows media Creation tool after disabling your Anti virus software. You should also check the option to use recommended options for your computer. Follow the steps outlined in the tool and your windows will be upgraded to the latest version. This will most probably resolve the error 0x8007042c.
Method 4: Remove malware
Error code 0x8007042c also arises due to the presence of malware in your system. You should scan and remove any malware or virus in your system. This entails several steps.
- First, download Microsoft Security Scanner from the Microsoft website.
- Install the software. The software will be located on your desktop as a shortcut named “msert.”
- Accept the license agreements. On the option for a quick scan, click next, and the software will scan and remove any malware that exists on your PC.
You can then try to turn your firewall on.Click on the start menu and type “firewall.” Open the windows firewall program and turn it on.
Error code 0x8007042c is caused by many issues. However, there are a variety of methods to fix the error quickly. You can try to resolve the error by using the troubleshooter, using the media creation tool, removing malware and even toggling the windows services.