The Windows error code 0x80070426 is one of several Windows error codes that users of PCs, laptops and notebooks encounter. The error message can pop up on the screen suddenly.
This error appears to indicate “An error occurred in program initialization. If this problem continues, contact your System Administrator. Error Code: 0x80070426”. The error code is basically an initialization error. It is a Windows security-related error.
Table of Contents
Reasons for Error code 0x80070426
While any of the OS has Windows Security Essentials as the security feature, Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender, which should replace Security Essentials after the upgrade.
However, something can happen during the upgrade that leads to the incomplete replacement of Windows Essentials files. This simply means that your computer will have both Windows Essentials and Windows Defender. None of them can initialize properly to provide any form of defense against virus and malware attack. Also Note that you are most likely to encounter the error in case you installed non-genuine Windows 10 OS.
Error 0x80070426 can cause other issues including;
- Failure by the Mail App to sync with your computer in order to retrieve your mail.
- Slow or sluggish computer possibly because of virus or malware attack due to failure in initialization of security feature.
- Possible freezing and crashing of Windows 10 OS.
Fixing Windows Error code 0x80070426
There are several methods you can institute to fix Windows error code 0x80070426. While some methods are simple and straightforward, others require that you have full administrative rights.
Method 1 – Use Automatic Repair Utility
This is one of the simplest methods you can employ to resolve the error. It involves downloading an automatic repair utility tool Called Total System Care. This Program should be able to scan and attempt to fix the issues with ease.
Total System Care will Scan your Whole PC for Corrupt Registry entries, System Files and other Potential Threats. Scan can take upto 1 minute and once it is done, you can Fix them all. After the Process Completes, you should not get error 0x80070426.
Method 2: Restart Security Service.
You may encounter the error because you have unknowingly disabled the software licensing service or in a case where it was not started after an upgrade. Restarting the service can easily resolve the error.
Disable or remove such hardware as DVDs and CDs from your computer before restarting your computer.
Hold down F8 Key before the appearance of Windows logo on the screen (in case your computer has one OS) or use arrow keys to highlight “Safe Mode with command prompt” in case your computer has more than one OS.
- Type “services.msc” into the command prompt before hitting Enter.
- Locate “Software Licensing” on the list of services that come up.
- Right-click on “Software Licensing” and select “Properties”.
- Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” before clicking OK.
- Restart your computer.
Method 3 – Store Repair
This is another simple method that can help resolve error code 0x8007026.
- Press the combination of Win+ X key to open the command prompt.
- Type “WSReset.exe” before hitting Enter.
- Restart your computer just in case it fails to restart automatically.
Method 4 – Sync Settings Change
It is possible to encounter the error simply because of incorrect sync settings in the Mail App, in which case you need to make changes.
1. Click “Mail” in the search box to open the app.
2. Click “Settings” before clicking on “Accounts”.
3. Click on your email account from the resultant list of email accounts.
4. Select “Change mail box sync settings” before selecting “Email” option.
5. Restart your computer.
Method 5 – Un-installation of Microsoft Essentials
Any file associated with Microsoft Essential should not remain in your computer. Indeed, it is the main cause of error 0x80070426. You can easily uninstall it in order to remain with Windows Defender.
- Press the combination of Win + R key.
- Type “taskmgr” in the Run dialogue box that appears.
- Locate Windows Defender Service (Windefend), right-click on it before selecting “Stop”. The service should stop and allow you to uninstall Windows essential. Note that it is impossible to uninstall Windows Essentials when Windows Defender Service is running although not effective. Follow the following procedure to uninstall Windows Essential;
- Open Control Panel.
- Click “Programs & Features” → “Uninstall a Program”
- Uninstall Windows Essentials before restarting your computer.
Alternatively, Press the combination of Win + R key → type “appwiz.cpl” into the resultant open dialogue box → locate and uninstall Windows Essential before restarting your computer.
It is important to ensure that Windows Defender is running and providing Real-time protection because it should automatically do so after restarting your computer. You need to go to Settings → Update & Security and choosing “Windows Defender” to see whether or not it provides the necessary protection in real time.
Like most Windows errors, you can easily prevent the occurrence of error 0x80070426. You can do this by only installing programs and apps from reputed third-party sites, keeping your antivirus/malware program up-to-date and performing clean uninstall before installing a higher version of any program.