Error code 0x80070422 arises due to issues with the windows firewall. However, do not worry as this is an easy error to resolve, and you can begin to use your computer within a short while. Most users come across the issue after turning on the PC, when using a third party firewall or when updating from windows 7 to windows 8 or 10. It also occurs when trying to download an app from the Windows store or when trying to open or update the built-in antivirus software in Windows 10 or 8.
Moreover, the issue is often accompanied with a message that the firewall has not been successful in changing some of your system settings. The windows firewall is vital when browsing the internet. It protects your computer from malicious attacks. Once it is off, then your computer exposed to attacked, and you will end up facing more issue such as malicious spyware and malware that can harm your computer.
Indeed, the firewall has to be ON at all times. The issue can also arise when a service that is required by Windows fails to start or has been disabled. For instance, Disabling the Background Intelligent Transfer Service can lead to error code 0x80070422.
Table of Contents
Solutions for Error code 0x80070422
The errors code can be solved through several methods. We have listed 3 methods that can solve your error 0x80070422. Try Method 1 if you are getting this error while enabling Windows firewall. Method 2 if the error occurs while Downloading updates and Method 3 if the error pops up while installing apps.
Method 1: Using the services option to enable firewall
In many cases, the error code arises when the firewall fails to initialize once the operating system has initialized. It is impossible to turn the firewall on manually in the settings menu. However, you can use the services option.
To get to this menu, search for services from the search menu in Windows 7, 8, and 10. You can also use Cortana in Windows 10 to find the settings panel. Once it shows up in the results, right click and open it as an administrator.
- You can also find the services menu by pressing Windows + R to activate the run dialog, type services.msc then press enter.
- Once it has opened up, scroll down to Windows firewall.
- Check the startup type and status. It should be disabled.
- In this case, you can enable the service by allowing it to start automatically as your windows boots up.
- Double click on the windows firewall service menu, then select the general option. Within the tab, there is an option to select the startup type.
- Change it to automatic form disabled, click apply and accept the changes by pressing the OK button.
Once the setting has been accepted, right click on the windows firewall tab and select start to initialize it. This will enable the Windows firewall instantly. Doing this might solve the 0x80070422 error issue for you.
Method 2: Manual download updates or uninstall third-party antivirus
If you are facing the issue on Windows 10 or 8 when trying to update your windows defender, then the best option is downloading the updates manually. You can do an online search for windows defender manual update, and you will find links to the official Microsoft website. Be sure to check whether you have a 64 bit or 32-bit operating system so that you download the right update.
Once you have downloaded it, install it, and the error will be resolved. If the error arises when trying to open windows defender, then it means that you have two anti-virus softwares installed on your system.
Windows Defender is disabled automatically once you install another software, and the error code will arise when you try to open it. In this case, avoid opening windows defender or uninstall the third-party software then try to run windows defender to avoid 0x80070422 error code.
Method 3: Enabling the background intelligence transfer setting
In case the error arises when you are trying to update windows or when downloading an app from the Windows store,and getting error code 0x80070422 on your screen, then you can use the background intelligence service to resolve the issue.
- Open the services window that you used in method 1.
- Next, find the Background intelligence transfer service(BITS). If it is disabled and stopped, then double click on it and go to the general tab.
- Next, choose the Manual option on startup type, then click on the start button that is located within the service status.
- This will Enable and start the Background intelligent transfer service. Accept the changes by clicking on OK.
Error code 0x80070422 can arise due to a myriad of reasons. However, don’t fret because the issue can be easily resolved by following the methods outlined above. Let us know which method works for you the best in comments below.