Whenever you come across Error code 0x8007007B, then it means that there is an issue when you are trying to activate your windows. The error message is often followed with a message “The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.” It will direct you to go to the control panel to find how you can activate your windows.
The errors 0x8007007b can occur when you use a volume-licensed media to install Windows 7, 8, and 10. It also arises when installing Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and 2012.
The error code can sometimes appear as error 0x8007232b. Fortunately, there is a myriad of methods you can use to resolve the error. Furthermore, these methods can work if you have a product key.
Table of Contents
How to fix Error code 0x8007007b in Windows
Method 1: Activate Windows via phone call to fix error 0x8007007b
This process involves calling Microsoft for them to activate it for you. To proceed with activation;
- Open the search menu, click on the start key if you are on Windows 7 or press the Windows key + F to access the search menu if you are on windows 8, or 10.
- Next, type slui.exe 4 and press enter. A new window will open up. You can also access this window using the Run command.
- Press the Windows key + R, and then type slui.exe 4 in the new window.
- Click OK, and the phone activation window will open. Choose your country from the drop-down list and then select the phone activation option.
- A new window will open up with a toll-free number that you can call.
You will be asked to provide an installation ID by the caller on the other side. They will then provide you with the activation code.
Method 2: Activate with product key dialog
You can also use the command prompt to resolve the error 0x8007007b. To access the window, press Windows key and type cmd. Right-click on the command prompt software and select open as administrator.
This will open the command prompt.Type “slui 3” in the command window and press enter. A new dialog box ill opens where you can enter the windows product key.You should restart your computer once the process is completed. Your windows will be activated, and the error code will not appear.
Method 3: Activate via the command prompt
This method will also rely on the product key to resolving error code 0x8007007B.
Click on Start and Search for “cmd.” Right-click on the command prompt and select to run as an administrator. Or, Press Windows key + X then click on Command Prompt (Admin).
Next, type the following code together with your activation key and then press enter.
slmgr.vbs -ipk <ACTIVATION KEY GOES HERE>
Once the process completes, a confirmation of your product key will be displayed.
Next, type slmgr.vbs -ato and press enter to activate your windows. You can then restart your computer for the changes to take effect system wide.
Method 4: Activate with previous product key
If you bought a PC that comes pre-installed with Windows and then upgraded it, then you will have to determine the previous activation key. To find the product key:
- Press the Windows key + X. Select on command prompt (admin)Next, enter the code “wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey” and press enter.
- The previous product key will be displayed. Note it down so that you can use it for activation.
- Next, click on start and select settings. Choose the option for update and security, and select the activation option.
- Click on the option to change the product key and enter the code that you took a note of. Accept the code, and your windows will be activated without any Error 0x8007007b.
You can also find the product key at the bottom of your laptop computer or within the battery compartment. You can also find it at the bottom or the side if you are using a desktop.
The error code 0x8007025D often arises when you are trying to activate your windows. However, the issue can easily be fixed, ensuring that your system is stable as soon as possible.