Error code 0x80004004 is one of the most troublesome errors to deal with. This is because it is not specific to any area of your computer regardless of which Windows OS you have installed. This simply means that you cannot pinpoint its exact cause although it is associated with Windows Defender program or Microsoft Security essential. It is a security service by Microsoft that protects your computer from external threats.
The error can appear on your computer screen with a message indicating “Error 0x80004004: E_ABORT. This error is due to an aborted operation” or something similar like “Virus and Spyware definitions Couldn’t be updated“. You may notice some symptoms several days before the error occurs. Your computer is most likely to become very slow, and a running program may hang or crash.
There is no specific moment when you may encounter the error. It can occur when updating Windows Defender when installing a program, when upgrading the OS and when starting or shutting down your computer.
Table of Contents
- Possible factors that can cause error 0x80004004
- Fixing Windows Defender error Code 0x80004004
- Method 1 – Basic Steps to fix Error code 0x80004004
- Method 2 – Run Troubleshooter
- Method 3 – Remove Junk Files
- Method 4 – Install Pending Updates
- Method 5 – Update Computer Drivers
- Method 6 – Automate Windows Defender Service
- Method 7 – Run System File Checker to fix error 0x80004004
- Method 8 – Run Disk Check Utility
- Method 9 – System Restore and fix error code 0x80004004
- Method 10 – Fresh OS Installation
Possible factors that can cause error 0x80004004
- Corrupt registry files.
- Incomplete program installation/un-installation.
- Un-installed updates.
- Installed anti-virus/malware program.
- Unreliable/Unsteady Internet connection.
- Virus/Malware infection.
- Damaged/outdated computer drivers.
- Bad sectors in the hard disk.
Fixing Windows Defender error Code 0x80004004
There is no specific solution to resolving error 0x80004004. This is simply because of its many possible causes and the fact that it is a general error. Resolving the error may mean performing different procedures one of which will be successful in providing a solution.
Method 1 – Basic Steps to fix Error code 0x80004004
It is very important that you take note of the point at which the error occurs. You specifically need to relate its occurrence with what you are doing on the computer. For instance, if it is when starting a program then that program or something associated with the program may be the cause.
1. Simple housekeeping measures can help in resolving the error. Your first action should be to ensure that your computer’s connection to the Internet is reliable. Unreliable Internet connection can easily lead to aborting of an operation.
2. It is also important to run the installed anti-virus/malware program to clear any virus/malware that may be in the computer system. It is a good idea to run a full scan.
3. The installed anti-virus/malware program can easily prevent some operations. Consider disabling the program temporarily before enabling it again.
Revert to what you were doing before the error occurred to see whether or not these simple housekeeping measures resolve the error.
Method 2 – Run Troubleshooter
Running Windows Update Troubleshooter can be helpful in resolving the error.
- Press the combination of Win + W keys.
- Type “Troubleshooter” before selecting it on the resultant screen.
- Select “View all”.
- Click on “Windows Update troubleshooter”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to the letter before reverting to what you were doing before the error occurred to whether or not it is resolved.
Method 3 – Remove Junk Files
Using your computer over time leads to accumulation of junk files that end up causing internal conflicts in addition to overloading your computer’s hard disk. Removing such files can easily resolve error 0x80004004.
- Press the combination of Win + X key to open up menu.
- Select “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
- Click “Yes” to run the command prompt as an administrator.
- Type “cleanmgr” before hitting Enter.
- The tool will begin to run automatically. It calculates how much used space you can claim on the hard disk. Check all the dialogue boxes occupied by unnecessary files including the temporary files box.
- Click “OK” to let the tool remove all junk files. Revert to what you were doing before the error occurred to see whether or not it is resolved.
Method 4 – Install Pending Updates
It is possible for updates to be downloaded but not installed. Such pending updates can cause various problems including error 0x80004004. Check to see if there are any pending updates to install them.
- Click “Start”.
- Type “Update” in search box before hitting Enter.
- Look for any uninstalled update(s) on the resultant Windows Update dialogue box that appears. Right-click on each and update the same.
Revert to what you were doing before the error occurred to see whether or not it still occurs.
Method 5 – Update Computer Drivers
Drivers are important components of your computer system. They facilitate communication between the system and all installed programs and applications. They need to be installed and must be up-to-date for smooth computer operations. Damaged or outdated drivers can easily cause error 0x80004004 and many other Windows errors.
- Right-click on “My Computer” before selecting “Properties”.
- Select “Device Manager”.
- Navigate through all the devices listed while looking out for any device with a yellow exclamation mark.
- Right-click on any such device before choosing “Update Driver”.
- Restart your computer after the update before reverting to what you were doing before the error occurred to see whether or not the problem is resolved.
Method 6 – Automate Windows Defender Service
Automating the Windows Defender service is another easy and clever method of resolving error 0x80004004. Although the following procedure applies to Windows 10 OS, it should give you an idea on how to do the same with a different OS.
- Open “Cortana” and run it as administrator.
- Search for “Services”.
- Enter password when prompted before clicking “Continue”.
- Search for “Windows Defender Service” in the resultant Services window.
- Double-click on the service and change its setting from disabled or manual to automatic.
- Revert to what you were doing before the error code 0x80004004 occurred to see whether or not this procedure is successful in resolving it.
Method 7 – Run System File Checker to fix error 0x80004004
Running the built-in system file checker tool can be helpful in resolving the error. The tool scans and attempts to repair corrupt files that may be the cause of the error.
1. Click “Start” .
2. Type “cmd” in the “Search programs and files” box.
3. Press the combination of CTRL + Shift + Enter before clicking “OK” to open the command prompt.
4. Type “chkdsk/f/r” into the prompt before hitting Enter.
5. Type “Y” in response to the resultant notification.
Restart the computer to allow disk check to run. You need to give the tool time to complete before trying to do what you were doing before the error appeared to see whether or not the method resolves the error 0x80004004.
Method 8 – Run Disk Check Utility
Like with the file checker, the built-in disk check (chkdsk) utility is another valuable tool that can resolve the error. The utility scans the hard disk an attempts to repair any damaged sectors and files so long as you have specified parameters. The following procedure is specific to running dick check in Windows 10 but should give you an idea on how to do the same on any other Windows OS.
Step 1. Press the combination of Win + X key to open up menu.
Step 2. Select “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
Step 3. Click “Yes” to run command prompt as an administrator.
Step 4. Type “chkdsk”
Step 5. Leave an empty space after the “chkdsk” before typing in the drive letter (C) that you need scanned.
Running disk check only identifies damaged sectors and files if any. You need to specify parameters before the utility can perform necessary repairs.
Step 6. Type the following into the prompt immediately after the drive letter “/f/r/x”.
Note that letter f tells the utility to fix errors, letter r tells it to identify any bad sectors in the disk and letter x tells it to dismount the drive before the commencement of the scanning process. Dismounting the disk is necessary because the utility cannot run if the disk is in use.
Press “Enter” to run the scan and let it complete before restarting your computer and reverting back to what you were doing before the error 0x80004004 Occurred.
Method 9 – System Restore and fix error code 0x80004004
Running system restore may be your other option of resolving error 0x80004004. This is in a case where all the above methods have failed to resolve the problem. The following procedure is specifically for Windows 8 OS but should give you an idea on how to the same on any other Windows OS.
1. Press the combination of Win + Q keys.
2. Click on “Settings”.
3. Choose “Recovery” icon.
4. Select “System Restore” from the resultant open window.
5. Choose an earlier date when your computer worked without any issues.
6. The tool should start to run before shutting down the computer and restarting it again.
Revert to what you were doing before the error occurred. This procedure should resolve the error. Although system restore does not delete your personal documents, it is a good idea to backup the documents before initiating the process.
Method 10 – Fresh OS Installation
Performing fresh installation of any Windows OS is always the last option of resolving both minor and serious errors including error 0x80004004. You need to backup all your documents before re-installing the OS.
Keeping your computer in good health at all times is very necessary if you want to prevent Windows errors like error code 0x80004004. This you can do by activating your computer’s security features including services. It is also important to install anti-virus/malware program for enhanced security. Note that majority of Windows errors are often caused by corrupt files and virus/malware infection is always the cause of such corruption.